FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Statement from the Egyptian Revolutionary Council on the repeated incidents targeting innocent Christian Egyptians
Since General Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi forcibly seized power in Egypt, innocent Egyptians of the Christian Coptic faith have been facing one calamity after another. Within the last few months they have been subjected to repeated attacks that have each claimed tens of innocent lives. Perhaps the most prominent of these recent incidents are:
- On December 11, 2016, the bombing of a Cathedral Church in Cairo, killing 25 Christians.
- On February 24, 2017, Christian families were forcibly displaced from Northern Sinai after several sporadic killings.
- On April 9, 2017, St Peter’s Church in the city of Tanta was bombed, killing 30 Christians.
- On April 9, 2017, there was the bombing of the Alexandria Coptic Church in which 15 Christians lost their lives.
- On , 29 Christians in the city of Minya were shot dead while on a bus trip heading towards a Monastery.
This is in addition to many other incidents which occurred against individual Christians.
The corrupt Egyptian judicial system has violated all standards of international criminal justice and received condemnation from many human rights organisations. The Egyptian justice system’s failure allows for impunity of perpetrators of crimes and possible punishment of innocent people for crimes they did not commit. The current political and social environment, together with the flawed legal system in Egypt, creates fertile ground for the growth and spread of terrorism.
Therefore, the Egyptian Revolutionary Council appeals to the international community to rise up to its duties and responsibilities, and to initiate an immediate and impartial international investigation into all the crimes committed against innocent people who have been killed in Egypt, both Coptic and Muslim, since the military coup of July 3rd, 2013.
Note to Editors:
1 - The Egyptian Revolutionary Council Press Office is the official representative of the ERC for English audience.
2 - To unsubscribe from our mailing list, kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with an unsubscribe request.
3 - For more information including quotes and interviews, contact: email@example.com
Egyptian Revolutionary Council - ERC